Closys: complete oral health system
The CloSYS Complete Oral Health System works differently than traditional oral care. CloSYS kills germs and volatile sulfur compounds at the source, so you get an oral health system that kills bacteria that cause plaque, eliminates bad breath, reduces bleeding and inflamed gums and provides many other benefits for optimal oral health. The components of the CloSYS Complete Oral Health System are:
- CloSYS Antiplaque Toothpaste
- CloSYS Antiseptic Oral Rinse
- CloSYS Oral Spray
Closys antiplaque toothpaste
CloSYS Toothpaste contains the patented and unique combination of chlorine dioxide and buffering phosphates to kill harmful bacteria, periodontal pathogens and neutralize odor-causing volatile sulfur compounds on contact. Plus CloSYS has the special combination of silica polishers and the oxidizing power of chlorine dioxide to help whiten teeth with regular brushing. CloSYS Toothpaste is one of the lowest in abrasivity of any toothpaste, so it's safe for daily use.
Another important feature is that CloSYS Toothpaste is one of the only toothpastes that does not contain the foaming agent, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), which has been linked to allergies and apthous ulcers.
CloSYS Toothpaste: Key Product Features & Benefits
- Patented stabilized chlorine dioxide system
- Non-foaming. Most traditional toothpastes contain sodium lauryl sulfate, which is a foaming agent and provides no functional benefit. However, some patients may experience allergic reactions to SLS and even more can experience irritation or abrasions that lead to apthous ulcers. Toothpastes containing sodium lauryl sulfate should not be used within 2 hours of using chlorhexidene-based rinses as these two compounds are incompatible when used together. CloSYS Toothpaste is sodium lauryl sulfate free.
- Low Abrasivity. Gentle to delicate veneers, expensive reconstruction and kind to exposed root structures; yet, has a whitening effect due to the combination of the oxygenating capabilities of chlorine dioxide and hydrated silica.
- Many dentists and hygienists use CloSYS Toothpaste as a professional polishing agent due its low abrasivity as the ADHA does not recommend full mouth polishing with high abrasive polishers.
- Tooth whitener when used on a regular basis reducing stains caused by food, wine, tobacco, coffee, tea and sodas.
- The American Dental Association sets a standard of 100 as being acceptable. Those pastes over 100 are considered more abrasive and those less than 100 are considered more gentle and safer to use on exposed CEJs, cementum and dentin.
- CloSYS Toothpaste is one of the lowest at 53. Yet, the hydrated silica and chlorine dioxide in the proprietary CloSYS II Toothpaste formula produce a whitening effect when used on a regular basis.
- All information is provided by the American Dental Association and all testing of these toothpastes were performed using the same protocols at Indiana University.
Closys antiseptic oral rinse
CloSYS Antiseptic Oral Rinse contains a stabilized chlorine dioxide which oxidizes and kills 99% of germs in 10 seconds. CloSYS Antiseptic Oral Rinse can treat the symptoms of gum disease and provide long-lasting protection against malodor with NO STAINING or alteration of taste!
Alcohol-Free CloSYS Antiseptic Oral Rinse provides the unique benefits by eliminating the Volatile Sulfur Compounds (VSCs) that cause oral malodor at the source and then destroys the harmful bacteria that create the VSC’s. Also, because it is alcohol free, it does not dry or irritate the soft tissue in your patients’ mouth.
Another key benefit found only in CloSYS is the ability to control the flavor in the rinse with Flavor Control. Now your patients don’t have to accept the intense flavors or burning that may be caused by many of the available mouthwashes. CloSYS Antiseptic Oral Rinse comes naturally unflavored with a refreshing, clean taste which may be preferred by some patients, but for all others you can add drops of peppermint oil with the Flavor Control dropper to create a flavor profile that will be enjoyed by all.
Elimination of VSC’s is a key component of periodontal maintenance:
- Hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan are the volatile sulfur compounds responsible for damaging soft tissue.
- CloSYS antiseptic oral rinse oxidizea cysteine and methionine, amino acid precursors from the cell walls that produce hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan
From Lynch, et al, LHMC, UK, Journal of Dental Research, Volume 74, No.3, 1995
Reduction of VSCs Using CloSYS Oral Rinse:
- Independent laboratory testing using the Halimeter (portable sulfide monitor, Interscan Corporation, Chatsworth, CA):
- Measurements are shown in parts per billion
- Morning breath, upon arising without eating or drinking - measurement = about 160 ppb - 100%
- 15 seconds after rinsing with CloSYS Oral Rinse (unflavored) - measurement = 62 pp or a 60% reduction
- 5 hours post rinse - measurement = 22 ppb or an 85% reduction in VSCs (without eating or drinking).
CloSYS Antiseptic Oral Rinse: Key product features and benefits
- Patented, stabilized chlorine dioxide system
- Kills 99% of germs in 10 seconds
- Provides infection control as a pre-rinse
- Flavor Control
- Alcohol Free
- pH balanced
- Ideal as a subgingival irrigant through ultrasonic/peizo scalers and as part of debridement procedures.
CloSYS Oral Spray is the first pocket/purse size chlorine dioxide based oral spray on the market! This exciting mint flavored oral spray is small enough to carry in the purse or pocket. Great for touch ups when it is not convenient to brush or floss or rinse. The oral sprays are individually packaged in a convenient 12 pack counter display with two displays per case.
- Patented chlorine dioxide system
- Convenient size for pocket or purse
- Alcohol free
- pH balanced
- Sugar free
- Refreshing mint flavor
Closys: the mechanism
The oral cavity is a very fertile area for bacteria of many types, some good and some harmful. The challenge is to eliminate or control those that cause tooth decay and gum disease in a way that doesn't introduce substances that cause bacteria to build an immune resistance. Chlorine dioxide has proven to be extremely effective at this. The mechanism of bacteria kill is by chemically attacking the bacteria cell and by eliminating sources of nutrition. The concentration of the active ingredient chlorine dioxide is very low to assure that little gram positive bacteria is affected, while most gram negative bacteria is eliminated.
Left unchecked, VSCs can allow bacteria to pass through the gums and into the bloodstream. Once there, oral bacteria may affect the heart by attaching to fatty plaques in the coronary arteries and contributing to clot formation. Pregnant women who have periodontal disease may be seven times more likely to have a baby that is preterm or low birthweight. More research is needed to confirm how periodontal disease affects pregnancy outcomes, but we do know that periodontal disease is an infection and all infections are cause for concern during pregnancy.
About Chlorine Dioxide (ClO2):
- ClO2 is an oxidizing agent
- ClO2 changes VSCs by breaking valence bonds of O2 at sulfur (S) atoms
- Eliminates oral malodor
- Effective up to 8 hours